Search Our Blog:

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Longing to feel disconnected...?

It is hard for me to admit how much this article hit home to me... Though if you are reading this and living in this century and it doesn't hit home to you, you may be lying to yourself.
How to miss a childhood
I've know and I think we all know; we spend too much time on our phones and devices, we should be in the moment fully at all times, we should be talking, laughing, playing, bathing, cooking, cleaning. There is always something we should be doing. But come on right, its 2012 if we don't answer that email about the deadline our job could be in jeopardy, if you don't post some cute pictures you may disappoint family, the list goes on and on. I've been searching for that middle ground, that fine line between using my phone and being a momma, and there are a few sentences in this article that just hit home way too much for me.
"Carry your phone around so much that when you happen to leave it in one room your child will come running with it proudly in hand- treating it more like a much needed breathing apparatus than a communication device"  GUILTY! 

"My life changed the day I stopped justifying my highly distracted life and admitted I was missing precious moments that I would never retrieve. I imagined my daughter standing on the stage at her high school graduation and asked myself: when she is 18 years old will I wish I had spend more time on my phone/work/social life? Or will I wish I spent more time investing in her?" 

I have a reoccurring fear of regret, UGH I even hate the word... maybe it is because I have some regrets from my past, I don't know but I do know one thing I do not want to have any regrets in life most of all about my children and family. Out chatting with my friend Jim he asked me a question he's asked me before, why I pack our schedule, why I don't say no more often, and why I'm one of the friends who seems to make it to everything. The answer is simple, I don't want to have any regrets. I don't want it to be the end of the year and realize I've missed the chance to see my friends at functions, realize we've missed a nice day on the weekend to pack up the calendar yet again. And after reading this article its another huge regret I do not want to have.

I digress.... I'm going to try and make some changes to implement less time checking the phone, emails, sites and more time being hands on with William and in life.

If you like this article be sure to check out "how to stop..." as well 


 

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel - although I'm not a mother. As ashamed as I am to admit this, I even have a pathetic problem keeping my phone on my desk while I'm teaching. It's definitely a hard habit to break as I'm so reliant on my silly iPhone. Such a sign of the times!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.