Search Our Blog:

Monday, September 27, 2010

40 weeks!!! Last weekly update.

40 weeks: The average newborn weighs about 7 1/2 pounds (a small pumpkin) and is about 20 inches long. The biggest part of your baby's body is her head, but her still-pliable skull will give it the flexibility necessary to squeeze through the birth canal. Many parents are surprised by how long and sharp their newborn's nails are from the get-go. Clipping them right away (ask a nurse for help) can prevent your baby from scratching her face.

After months of anticipation, your due date rolls around, and... you're still pregnant. It's a frustrating, but common, situation in which to find yourself. Fetal heart rate monitoring (called a nonstress test or NST) will generally be done. Your practitioner will also check your cervix to see if it's "ripening." Its position, how soft it is, how effaced (thinned out) it is, and how dilated (open) it is can all affect when and how your labor is induced. If you don't go into labor on your own, you'll be induced, usually sometime between 41 and 42 weeks.

I had my last appointment yesterday, they wanted to do a non stress test to make sure William is ok in there for another week, It took about a half hour and all went fine. It was fun watching his heart rate and the changes it would make as he squirmed around or stood still. Then I waited for a bit and went in to my regular check in, she did an ultrasound to make sure he was still head down and check all over to make sure my animoic fluid levels were ok. I was almost hoping they weren't ok so we could get this show on the road but I know the fact that he is healthy is good. She checked me and I am still only 1 cm dilated and still only about 50%, she even described the inside of my cervix as hard (which is NOT what you want) I was so let down I wanted to cry. I was hoping even if I had to get induced that there would be a little progress, to make the labor go quicker, so I knew that all these cramps and backaches were doing something and just for my own peace of mind.... but nope, still the exact same.
I got dressed and went to schedule my induction, I knew it would be Monday the 4th because that is when my doctor is on call next. I got 5th in line for that morning, that means there are four people ahead of me that will get calls to come in before I do, and depending on how many people go into labor naturally (how busy they are and how many beds are filled in labor and delivery) I could not get called.... I asked if I can go in Sunday night, or in the middle of the night or anything, no dice, I just have to sit and wait for my call. I guess we will see what happens but if they dont call early I might ahve Luke go to work why waste ANOTHER one of his days.
I couldn't help it, I called Luke when I left and just broke down, not only was I disappointed about no progress, I am not even guaranteed a spot for Monday morning, I am super uncomfortable, and I have the fear of a long drawn out labor if I go in and I am STILL the same.
I am doing better dealing with it, it will all work out one way or another and he will get here, Luke will have to use lots of vacation since we will go in on a Monday, but ohh well there is nothing I can do... Luke has been fighting a little cold and looks like I caught it. I was up ALL last night with a runny/stuffy nose, sore throat, and just plain achy and miserable. In a way it is a blessing because now I can fight this and get better and be 100% for labor and for when my little newborn is here, how bad would it be if I were sick when he came!

SO I am at home today trying to rest and drink fluids etc... and for the rest of the week and weekend going to have to think of everything I can to keep my mind off Monday, any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. thinking about you sweetie! Praying that when William decides it's his time to come, he'll be anxious to get out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're so close!!! Hmmm ... to keep you busy - maybe some kind of craft for William? I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley-
    Hang in there. I know how you feel-it's like someone moving back Christmas. Just keep reminding yourself that he will be here soon and you will have forgotten all about these last couple of weeks. Things to do...hmmm. I'd love for you to come walk with me at the park and we could teach ourselves how to knit little hats on youtube. That's all i got :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.