Search Our Blog:

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

VENT: Ashley and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

This was one of my favorite books growing up, actually it is "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" It is a cute book, but today I felt like I was living this day:

It started as a little scratch on the back of my ankle that got irritated while I was out shopping Saturday, got home to find it was pretty aggravated, cleaned it up. As the day went on it hurt to walk or put too much weight on that foot. Today is Tuesday and not only has it not gotten any better, I clean it all the time and it has gotten much worse also now my whole ankle is completely swollen, including the part around the sore which is a huge bump and very red and hurts very badly. I have also been wearing only my crocs since Saturday because of the swelling and where the irritation is at.
I usually do not leave things to the doctor unless I have to but, after my dad saying it looked like a spider bite (that can rot your skin) I decided I needed to get some treatment.
A friend suggested the Walgreen's take care clinics, I have to say these might be convenient if you have a cold, but after going to 3 different take care locations (these are not at every Walgreen's so the three I went to were NOT close together at all) I don't know if I will be back.
The last location sent me straight to the hospital because she suspected it was infected with some kind of a strain of staph, which she cannot diagnose or give prescriptions for?!?! I am cheap...and a baby... and decided the urgent care would suffice, otherwise I was going to have to call Luke out of work to go with me.
Called both Urgent Care locations close by to see which had less of a wait, sorry but this being my 4th stop and no answers I was getting restless. The one lady said they could get me right in, it was now 5:00 and she said they have not gotten their "after work rush" (confused me since they close at 6)
An HOUR later: Conclusion: it is either a staph infection, a Mersa infection (type of staph) or a very very infected wound if I wanted to know which of these it was he would have to "dig around in there to find some to test" Ummm no thanks! BACK to Walgreen's for antibiotic, and wouldn't you believe it, they cant find me in the computer, or my prescription, after another HOUR at Walgreen's I am finally at home and hopefully starting to heal.

Side Note: a nurse at the urgent care, (after I told this long story to yet another nurse) told me I was wrong to be cleaning it out with hydrogen peroxide because it kills good bacteria along with bad. Since this is what I have done since I was little I asked the doctor about it and he said he had no idea what she was talking about... This was how all of the advice I got today went... a different nurse asked me if I have been working out too much to hurt an ankle... ummm nope not enough to gash it open, I WISH I worked out that much lady!

My Conclusion: our health care professionals really need some help! Also made me wonder how long our wait is going to be for all of us who pay so much for heath care when everyone gets it for free.

This has been a very long day, Luke is picking up take out, I have a glass of wine and Idol starts tonight!

Sorry for the long, gross, boring post.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain! As soon as you started describing your wound, I immediately thought "Staph." Mersa, especially, is so, so prevalent now and it always seems to start with something as normal as a little cut. It's really good that you went to the Dr. when you did! Hope your meds start to kick in and you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.